It is very obvious that more people are using computers these days and more people are on the web on daily basis. For this reason most computer users are now increasingly concerned with web safety. Computer safety tips are sought after more and more. The predominant availability of personal computers and connections to the internet provides most people with around the clock access to information, financial services, and shopping. The World Wide Web is also an amazing tool for educators and students to communicate and learn. However, this frequent use of computer brings out more and more hackers and con artists and requires that web users observe some essential tips on how to protect their computer.
It is so unfortunate that certain individuals take advantage of the Internet to perpetrate criminal activities. As with any new technology, there are always individuals prepared to exploit this great new technology illegally for personal gain. Hackers can try to gain illegal access to your computer and then utilize that login to take over your identity, defraud you, or even launch internet attacks against other web users. By following the preferred computer safety tips outlined below, you can minimize the harm cyber hackers can do not only to your computer, but to many other people’s computer.
Unfortunately, there is not a single computer security method or technological solution that will eliminate online crime. These generally accepted computer safety tips highlight that using practices that include Internet habits as well as technological solutions can make a difference. Technical solutions (software) are increasingly necessary and cannot be eliminated with just good practices.
The following recommended computer safety tips will to some extent help you protect your computer from unauthorized access.
- Whenever you’re online or offline try to protect your private information. Make sure you know who you’re communicating with on the internet. Especially when you are in a chat room. Do not give out your password, social security number, and credit card number
- Remember the web is like a shopping mall where any body can enter. Protect your computer with the use of anti-virus software, a firewall, and anti-spyware software to ensure your computer is protected and secure
- Be sure that you do regular update of your computer
- Be sure to use very strong passwords to protect your information. Do not use your nickname or your surname. When using numbers, do not use your birthday
- Do not forget to back up critical files